28 January 2010


I’m finding it harder than I thought to get back into the blogging habit. Of course, the fact that there are about five million things going on in my life is making it slightly more difficult; since my last entry, I had two fantastic nights of tango; my dad went back into the hospital with his third bout of pneumonia in a year; Mimi has had several massive meltdowns; and I had a nasty bout with either stomach flu, food poisoning, or a combination of the two + stress — at any rate, I couldn’t keep any food down for the past 48 hours. That was fun.

I had last week off work and I really wanted to get the house cleaned up and some major decluttering done. I did manage to get through the girls’ room; sorted through some clothes, packed up a bunch of toys, purged the bookshelf. They need to have a minimum of things in there to deal with because the “picking up after yourself” lesson isn’t going so well. I was tired of threatening to take stuff away, and just did. Weirdly, they didn’t seem to mind; in fact, the room has stayed fairly neat for the past week aside from books and clothes on the floor. I can live with that.

I finished the one freelance editing job and another typing job, so that was also an accomplishment. I completed two crochet orders from, uh, last month, so again, something. I sorted my yarn stash from its various locations all over the house into one bin. I started sorting papers into keep/recycle/trash boxes. But I didn’t get any farther than that. My room is a disaster, the basement is a disaster. I still have crochet projects to finish, at least two of which have been paid for already. I have to go to the post office and mail off the finished things, which I haven’t done yet because I have no money. My checking account has been overdrawn for a week. I have a bit in paypal but can’t access it, since I left my paypal card in an ATM two weeks ago and the bank destroyed it. I’m waiting for a replacement but in the meantime…

Yeah. That’s about how the past couple of weeks have gone. But I am extremely hopeful that starting tomorrow, things will be turning around. I get paid tomorrow (stupid once-a-month paydays) and there should be about $150 more in my check from this month on since M is no longer on my health insurance. I am also on track to get my federal tax refund tomorrow, at least according to the IRS’s website which I am choosing to believe, and with that, I will be buying a car. Going to the bank as soon as I am able to tomorrow, arranging a ride, and handing over a cashier’s check to purchase a nine-year-old Saturn. My very own car, owned entirely by me. No bank, no one else on the title. Just ME. I cannot tell you how important this is to me. It’s a bit of independence I have been sorely lacking in the past year and a half, and it will feel so good.

I also have a solid weekend of tango coming up, the Fire and Ice Festival here on campus. Child care is arranged, and from tomorrow at 6 pm all the way through to Sunday night, I have workshops, practicas, and milongas, with breaks for eating and sleeping and that’s pretty much it. If I can get childcare for Monday night, I can do the wrap-up workshop as well, but that might be a stretch. Either way. I am so excited. And I bought my first pair of actual tango shoes on eBay earlier this week (which, ok, that was ONE way to use my Paypal money…) and am extremely hopeful they will arrive at least in time for Saturday night’s milonga.

If someone had told me a year ago I’d be excited about strappy high-heeled shoes, I would have laughed. Heartily. But here I am. Heh.

No comments:

Post a Comment